Sunday 10 January 2010

10 Free Fonts Everyone Should Have

Maybe its just the pedantic side of me, but I judge a company, person, or document simply by the font they use. Times New Roman and Arial no longer cut it. Helvetica, Myriad Pro and Georgia work well, but to really stand out from the crowd, you should download fonts, as less people are likely to have them. Here are a few of my favourites:

___________________________________


 








Clean, modern, and extremely professional. So good, the logo for this site was made with it.  


 Like all great fonts, and unlike a lot of fonts, it's actually readable. However, like Advent, it's the clean lines and professional feel that makes it stand out.


It's not every day that you'll need a high-tech, glossy font like this, but when you do, Edit Undo Dot does the job perfectly.


Everyone loves sketchy fonts. Everyone loves Helvetica. Combined = :D



It's just fun. I'm imagining something like Innocent Smoothies or Fairtrade..I dunno..All I know is that it's a great font.

It's almost impossible to have a list of fonts without including a VTKS font, and this is my favourite. I can almost imagine it being used in an ad for perfume..Almost.


It was a toss-up between this and its bitter rival WC Roughtrad, but I decided on Tusj, partly because its better, and partly because I haven't done enough serif fonts.




A lot of grunge fonts can be difficult to read and ineffective, but Misproject is grungy, striking, and just generally great.



Handwriting fonts are usually hard to read or repetitive and dull. This is one of the few that I actually like.



You may never find a use for it, but it looks great and its a good one to have in your collection in case of emergency.

___________________________________


So, what are your favourite fonts? And if any company owners are reading this whose logos use the font Papyrus, please download ANY font and change it right now. It's not even a good font, and yet everyone uses it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - Glad you like my font Helvetidoodle! I'm thinking of doing a similar style with a serif font next to complement it - any suggestions?
You might be interested in my blog at http://www.teamtownend.com

_blink said...

Hey, thanks for somehow finding this blog :) Well, due to the popularity of it, Times/Times New Roman, but then that might look a bit boring, as Times is wont to do. You could try Trajan, or Georgia. Something well-known, at any rate..

Post a Comment